How to apply
The data and biosamples collected or generated by QBB will be made available to researchers employed within or otherwise contractually bound to public and private institutions that conduct scientific research and that meet the requirements detailed in the Qatar Biobank Research Access policy. Approved Users will be given access to QBB’s Research Data and/or Biosamples for the period agreed upon in the approved Access Agreement, with the possibility of subsequent renewal.
All researchers interested in applying are required to create a profile through the Research Portal where further information and the application form is available.
Should you have any queries about sample availability or data type a pre application query form is available within the research portal and will be sent directly to the Qatar Biobank Research Access Office.
Flow Chart of Process
Click to see bigger image.
- Pre-Query Application Form
- Research Access Application Form and Costings
- Supplementary Application Form
- Research Progress Report
- Research Access Feedback Form
- Qatar Biobank Access Claim
- Qatar Biobank Genomic Analysis Retrieval form
Flow chart narrative
- Create a profile/login here (Coming Soon)
- Complete and submit the online Research Access Application Form
- Application form received and reviewed by QBB
- Application sent for IRB review or rejected
- Rejected applications may be eligible for an appeals process
Qatar Biobank Institutional Review Board (IRB) Committee
All research applications involving human research subjects will require submission and approval from the Qatar Biobank IRB committee. The QBB IRB committee was founded on the 30th of September 2016.
The purpose of the Qatar Biobank IRB committee is to formalize the process of medical research work of Qatar Biobank which it is committed to and ensuring that all human subject research in which it is engaged is conducted in accordance with the ethical principles through an Institutional Review Board Committee (IRB) as stated by Supreme Council of Health in Qatar: Policies, Regulations and Guidelines for Research Involving Human 2009.
Qatar Biobank IRB Committee will:
- Review the appropriateness of the research protocol as well as the risks and benefits to study participant information. It will ensure that clinical trial participant information is exposed to minimal risks in relation to any benefits that might result from the research.
- Review and approve all study-related materials before and during the research.
- Assist in biomedical research horizon scanning to help Qatar Biobank prepare for and adapt to emerging trends in biomedical research, new technologies and new opportunities to contribute to the advancement of medical research
Research Access Office
You are being invited to take part in Qatar Biobank, Qatar’s long-term medical health initiative for Qatar’s population. To help you decide whether to contribute, here is some information on Qatar Biobank and what taking part involves.
Qatar Biobank will make it possible for scientists to conduct research to address some of the greatest health challenges facing Qatar and the region, including cardiovascular disease, obesity, diabetes, and cancer.